Sunday, October 10, 2010

A Wonderful Week!

  For those that are wondering, I, in fact, DID pass my archery assessment so I am now certified with the Grand National Archery Society to teach archery!  It was quite an exciting accomplishment considering I had never shot a bow and arrow before in my life, I'm sure I'll get lots of practice this year.
   This past week I worked a one-day retreat on Tuesday and then a three-day residential on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday-both were a blast!  The group that came on Tuesday was a bit challenging as far as behavior goes (there were 65 16-yr.-olds) but we still had a great time. I got to help Anthony lead the "Languages of Love" session, which is based off the book 5 Love Languages by Gary ChapmanIt's an incredible session that teaches them how to become better "lovers" (in the appropriate sense of the word).  The five different languages are words, touch, gifts, acts of service, and quality time.  The session focuses on learning what your language is so people around you, in your families and friend groups, can know the best way you receive and express your love.  It's also very useful to learn what others' languages are so you can come to understand them better and how they feel loved. If you haven't read the book before, I highly recommend it.  It's incredible how much you can learn about yourself in such a short amount of time. After leading the session 4 different times, it all makes so much sense to me, and I haven't even read the book yet!
   So Tuesday's retreat was great (exhausting) but it only lasted 4 hours.  I was so excited to have the group of 38 16-yr-olds arrive on Wednesday because I knew we'd get to spend more time with them and actually get to know them.  It was the first time we all lead small groups by ourselves so it was quite an exciting time. The kids were so great- our program leaders that were here last year kept telling us how awesome the kids from St. Mary's always are-and they were right!  The kids in my small group were so down-to-earth and they were all so creative!  On Thursday night we had a "social" and all the small groups had to come up with something for the talent show.  I was a little nervous when my group settled on "Barbie Girl," but they did a great job, kept it appropriate and everything.  It was pretty cool to see the kinds of things kids will come up with when given a little bit of freedom. The showed so much support for everyone that got up on the stage.  It was an entertaining night for sure.
   One of the coolest parts of the retreat was when I got to lead the craft session for the kids that didn't want to take part in the outdoor sessions (ropes course, archery, and swamp game).  Kind of last minute, I decided I would teach a craft I learned way back in the day at Flathead Lutheran Bible Camp.  It's called a "God's Eye" and all it takes is 2 sticks and some yarn.  After wrapping the yarn around the sticks in a simple pattern, a cool design appears and in the middle it looks like an eye. I was a little nervous as I wasn't sure how it go over, I thought maybe they'd see it as too "childish". We just on the couches and listen to music as we wrapped the yarn...and they loved it.  They were so excited to show their friends their creations and said they loved how relaxing it was for them. Needless to say, I was quite relieved. 
  Though a 3-day residential is quite exhausting (finishing at 12:30 at night, waking up early to be at 8 am prayer), it is quite fulfilling.  Getting to connect with the kids and spending time getting to know their stories is something that words cannot explain.  I feel so blessed to be here at this time in this place.

No comments:

Post a Comment