Two weeks ago, our TFG BIG Conference was held in Newtown (yes, just like the town in North Dakota where my dad was born), North Wales. TFG BIG is a time for all the TFG Volunteers to come together, unlike our Conference in October where it was just YAGM. 86 volunteers from about 10 different countries made the trek to Cefn Lea, a phenomenal Conference Center placed among the beautiful rolling hills of Wales. It was about a 4 1/2 hour bus ride for those of us coming from London, which was one full coach load. Cefn Lea was the most wonderful place to have such a conference. We stayed in cute little chalets and they had a cafe set up for us so we could have endless tea and coffee during the day. We even got to do some hiking up the big hill right next to the center. It was about an hour and fifteen minutes to walk up and back down, with lots of stops for photos. We started the walk around 3:15 pm and it was such a beautiful sight from the top, especially when the sun started to set (which was around 4 or so....it's England). By the time we made it to the top, I decided it was going to be my workout for the day-but seeing the view from the top was totally worth it.
Getting to meet lots of new people from all these different countries was so exciting and it was also great to see all my fellow Americans again. Though there are a few I've seen a lot in the past months, some of them I'd never seen since our last conference in October. While everyone else had different workshops they went to, us YAGM got to spend time together reflecting, reconnecting and rejuvenating. It was wonderful to be able to use our "American lingo" and share stories about our placements with each other too. We did a beautiful prayer walk where we made our way up one of the big hills, passing lots of sheep on the way and stopping every so often to read some Scripture and say a prayer. It was such a refreshing way to spend the few days.
The last evening, they hosted "The Fringe" which was an opportunity for anyone and everyone to share their skills or traditional song or dance from their own country. Working at SPEC we host lots of talent shows when we have groups in, but it's been awhile since I've been in a talent show myself. Our SPEC Team kicked things off by teaching a song we do with the Loft kids at the campfire. Then I sang a few songs with the choir that was put together over the 2 days. Then, one of my highlights of the whole Conference, I got to swing dance with Péter from Hungary, a new friend I made on the bus ride up. We had about 45 minutes to put something together so we danced to Michael Buble's "Crazy Little Thing Called Love." It felt so GREAT to be dancing again! (I'll post a video of the dance on my Shutterfly site)
All in all, I'd say the Conference was just what I needed. Time to see friends from home, time to relax in a peaceful place, time to make new friends, and time to reflect (even more) on why I'm here doing what I'm doing this year.
![]() |
| 2010-2011 UK YAGM |
More pictures from Conference are posted on my Shutterfly Site!
http://oneearth.shutterfly.com


No comments:
Post a Comment