Two weeks ago we packed 17 of us in the SPEC minibus(van) and 5 in the SPEC car and headed down the road about an hour to the Sion Community in Brentwood for our weekend Team Retreat. We spent the three days singing, dancing, praying, talking about "Vocation," throwing water balloons at each other, studying Scripture, and having some quality bonding time together as community. It truly was the perfect weekend to have just before our Easter break began. Father Richard, the priest who came to the Loft retreat I worked on, was with us Friday night and Saturday morning and he shared with us the story of his faith journey and his calling. It was rather fascinating to me as it was his travels to India when he was 18 that seemed to spark his faith and open his eyes to God's love. I could identify with a lot of what he had felt as my month in India was beyond powerful for me; words cannot begin to explain the impact that month had on my life.
After Fr. Richard shared his stories with us, he put us to a challenge. He explained how it was a common practice in the monastic tradition and he wanted us to have the opportunity to experience God in a different way. So, we were to continue the rest of the evening in silence and keep the silence until Morning Prayer the following day. This meant turning mobile phones off as well, no calling and no texting. Of course, this was going to be more challenging for some more than others, especially since we were all sharing rooms with one or two other people. The purpose of the silence was for us to have some time for refection and spend some time with our own thoughts and let me tell you, good reflection time it was. At first it was a little awkward not talking to Leanna(my roommate) but the awkwardness only lasted about five minutes and then I realized I actually needed the silence more than I thought. I spent the time thinking over what Father Richard had shared with us, I thought about what this year has meant for me, and I thought about where I want to go after this and what I feel I'm being called to do. You know..."vocation" stuff. After morning prayer the following day, when we could speak again, I actually felt quite peaceful and content, I didn't really feel the need to start talking right away or share a whole lot of what I had discovered in the silence.
Our second day was full of sunshine, music, and prayer. And yes, even included a huge water fight out on the lawn that lasted all of 45 minutes. That evening we had a talent show where each of the three small groups shared something they had prepared together. My group, "Ange's Angels" (Ange is on staff, she's our group leader) wrote a song/poem including a line for every member of community. I was proud of the creativity of the Angels.
After the talent show, we did some praise in worship, all huddled in a circle in the lounge room we had access to. It was one of the most powerful praise and worship nights we've had, the sense of community bonding was incredible and the presence of God was so extraordinary. I didn't want the singing to end(I never do).
The next morning we got our bags packed and headed into the Chapel for Mass. As we opened the doors to the Chapel we were greeted by the sounds of children's laughter and little feet pattering across the carpet. We didn't know it but we had been lucky enough to be at Sion for once a month Children's Mass. Whereas we're used to Mass at SPEC being quiet and calm, that day we were filled with the joy of love and livelihood of children. I had to work hard to hold my giggles in when a little boy started walking up the aisle to sit right in front of us, and he was dragging a giant stick behind him(he must've gotten it from the trees outside on the lawn). He turns to his sister, a few years older than him, and with great big eyes, says "Look how BIG this stick is!" and just plops down beside her and starts humming to the music. A smile spread across my face and I got goosebumps as Sunday School memories came rushing back to me. The guy on the guitar had started singing "If I Were a Butterfly" which I haven't heard in ages. As the service hadn't quite started yet, I figured it was okay to have a bit of fun so I started doing the actions I remembered and got some of the others to do them with me. The guy singing went through the first verse and chorus then faded out and waited for Mass to start. When the time came for us to sing that song during the service, he introduced the song and said "We're going to have some of the SPEC Team stand up here in the front and lead us in the actions." Of course, everyone claimed they had no recollection of ever learning them so it was just Hannah, Jess and myself, standing up front, showing our butterfly wings, and how our little birdies sing. I couldn't stop smiling as it took me straight back to my Sunday School days and of when I would help lead children's music at Zion Lutheran. Of course, I didn't really know any of the children at the Sion Community that day, but I still felt a connection that I can't really explain. Watching them smiling and wiggling their tails and giggling with glee, I couldn't help but smile myself.
That morning was such a blessing for me. The whole service was so great for all of us. It was a reminder of how we all start so small and we all end up in places we never expect. It was a reminder of the greatness of God our Creator, and how much love He puts into creating each one of us, extraordinarily unique and individual. But above all, it was a reminder of the beauty of childlike wonder.
I thank God for the gift of laughter.
Sunday, May 01, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment