As I was walking to breakfast after morning prayer, Hannah, whose room is right next to mine, was saying how she loved visiting her aunt in Los Angeles because she always got to bring such amazing stuff back with her (Hannah's from Stevenage, about an hour away). Just then she pulled out her bag full of Lucky Charms...and I squealed like a little kid. Last week I was talking with Ange, a seasoned volunteer from Manchester, and she informed me that Lucky Charms have been banned from this country. Apparently, kids were bouncin' off the walls too much with all the sugar from the cereal so now stores aren't allowed to sell them (you can bring them in the country, it's just a store trying to sell them that's not allowed). Of course, I raced down the stairs and grabbed a bowl the second she offered to share her treasure with me. I don't have anything against the corn flakes and rice krispies we've been having every morning(which I learned quickly that it is unheard of to add sugar to your cereal, imagine that), it was just so...comforting to see those little horse-shoe shaped marshmallows, I couldn't help myself. But wait, it gets even better. The moment I sat down with my delectable bowl of cereal, I remembered that earlier this week, Hannah had given me a little "Jif To-Go" peanut butter cup after I told her how disappointed I was at the lack of peanut butter in this country (well, they do have it, but it's about £5 for a tiny little jar). So I ran upstairs to my room to get the peanut butter, slapped it onto a piece of toast, sliced some bananas to put on top, and had myself the most American breakfast I could think of (if only I had some chocolate milk). Yes, I got laughed at. But I had never enjoyed breakfast so much. The whole time I was thinking, "Mom would be so proud of me."
| Best day EVER! |
Needless to say, Hannah is my new best friend.
No comments:
Post a Comment