In our first "session" tonight, our Directors, Jon and Terry, filled us in more on the purpose of SPEC and what we should hope to get out of the year. It was then that I realized I am in the right place. As Jon described the unique culture of SPEC, he talked about the importance of learning to "feed others" while also "feeding yourself." It's not only about the youth we will be working with when they come on retreat at SPEC, it's also about the community that is built within our team. It's not about the destination, it's about the journey along the way. I have always valued the idea of being my own individual but at the same time, belonging to something greater than myself. When I think about it, it is because of the wonderful community I found at Concordia that I found who I am and it is because of the wonderful community I found in my home congregation at Zion Lutheran Church that I found my way here.
Thursday, September 02, 2010
Let the Induction Begin
Today was the official start of our 3-week Induction period, of which the first three days will be spent in a retreat for ourselves. After a morning of last-minute clean up, we welcomed the other 13 volunteers that will be living here with us this year. Home countries now include: America (only the two of us!), New Zealand, Germany, Sweden, Zimbabwe, North Korea, and various parts of England. What a great mix! I made a sweet deal with the three German girls that I would help them with their English if they help me with my German. =)
Praise the Lord for the gift of community!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment