As I was taking in the new, yet somehow oddly familiar, surroundings, I opened the bulletin and my eyes immediately jumped to the words, "Though we are many, we are one." A ton of bricks couldn't have hit me harder. My mind wandered (which, admittedly, tends to happen quite often during church) back to the service I went to on Christmas Eve at the Lutheran church in London. I remember being rather surprised to realize that England has a lot of the same Christmas carols as we do, but some of them are sung to different tunes. I will never forget when we sang "Away in a Manger" about half-way through the service. The words were all the same but the melody was quite different (which, oddly enough, was the version my choir sang in the Concordia Christmas Concert last year). As we were singing, I closed my eyes, just soaking in the beauty of the music and the joy that filled the air. I noticed there was one voice I could hear sticking out, singing just one beat ahead of all the rest. As I glanced around, a little boy across the aisle, in the back row, caught my eye. He was standing tall, and one step in front of his parents, head back, eyes closed, belting out the words louder than anyone beside him, with a brilliant smile on his face. We didn't even know each other, but in that moment I felt a connection that I cannot even describe. He was singing the joy I was feeling. I couldn't stop smiling as I closed my eyes and began to sing even louder.
As my mind drifted away from the happiness of the holidays, I kept thinking about the feeling of "oneness". My thoughts went back to the TFG BIG Conference that we had in Wales in January. There was one particular part in the last worship service we had that was incredibly powerful. When it came time to pray the Lord's Prayer, David (the CEO of Time For God) invited everyone to say the prayer in their own language, as there was more than ten countries represented in the room of just over 80 people. You could hear the murmurs of different phrases overlapping with different syllables and words. In the silence of the pauses between each line, you could hear a pin drop. It seemed as though everyone was enraptured by God's presence in the room. Just knowing that in that moment, even though our mouths were speaking different words, our hearts were praying the same prayer. It gave me some of the biggest goosebumps I've ever had in my life.
My thoughts returned to where I was, sitting in church. As the Reverend sat down to the organ to play the last hymn (what a brilliant idea, eh?), I found myself smiling like a fool when I realized what song it was. "Praise to the Lord," which I will remember forever as it was the last hymn we sung in the Concordia Christmas Concert last year.
It would be quite an understatement to say I found church that morning to be rather enlightening.
Never before had I understood the message so clearly:
Though we are many, we are one.
No comments:
Post a Comment